Wednesday 7 September 2011

The Impersonator!!!!!

 
 
The men’s side of tennis is at its competitive best. It’s hard to remember the last time when at everygrand slam there are four contenders!!!! Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray have developed a healthy and stiff competition among themselves. It’s hard to predict the winner when these warriors come face to face. Gone are the days when Federer and Nadal were the favourites at every grand slam. There is a new guy on the block-Novak Djokovic!!!!
Let’s face it guys!!! This guy has been nothing short of phenomenal this season. Losing just 2 matches in the whole season is something that no one would have imagined let alone from this man. After his triumphant 2008 Austrialian Open many people judged him to be a one slam wonder. But 2011 shut all his critics right up. I think the 2010 loss at the U.S. Open final to Nadal was the changing point. He underwent a whole new fitness regime and also undertook a new diet after that which allowed us to see the Novak he is now. I also do think that participating in the Davis Cup has helped him immensely. He himself has said that he has found a belief that he can defeat the top players in the world. Defeating Nadal in five finals is no mean feat. And the victory at Wimbledon will be one which he won’t forget the rest of his life. His passion for the game is nowhere in doubt. Seeing him eat the Wimbledon grass after the historic victory made me believe he just loves and respects the game.
 
His Prized Catch-Wimbledon!!!

Now moving onto why I simply love this man. I do find Nole to be a happy-go-lucky kind of guy. I perceived tennis to be a serious game until I saw this man. His antics on and off the field has made me believe that you can have fun in this sport. His impersonations are worth a watch. Andre Agassi said in his auto-biography “THE OPEN” that tennis is one of the loneliest sports in the world and that its players are like boxers who exchange blows through their racquets. I do think Nole might not agree with the former point of view and as for the latter he does make the boxing an enjoyable one. His antics at the Australian Open earned him the name “Djoker”. His passion for the game is nowhere in doubt. I even copy his chest-fisting or whatever you call it when I am pumped up. I just love the way how his whole family turns up to support him at each and every match.



As I write this the U.S. Open is underway. Too bad that I can’t watch his match as it is telecasted early morning here. But I never miss his highlights. I would pray for his victory so that I can tell all my friends who are either Nadal or Federer fans “in your face”!!! J I hope he continues his form and I am sure he will be regarded as one of the greatest players to have ever played the game!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment